Monday, September 25, 2006

Monday - U Li La Lu

You've probably never heard of Poi Dog Pondering. Neither had I until a college friend played their song, U Li La Lu, incessantly on the tape deck of his POS. It's an odd song, really, sound-wise, but I always liked the first couple of lines.

Wear with pride these scars on your skin
They're a map of the adventures, the places you've been


I've got a pretty decent map. What about you? Funny how you can point out scars and usually remember exactly what happened to put them there and when they occurred. For example, the "dimple" just below my left temple came to me the day before St. Pat's when I was about 11 years old. I was lying on the floor with one of my friends painting the banner that our Girl Scout troop would carry in Atlanta's parade the next day. My sister, then 3, climbed up on the sofa and dragged up a very sharp-cornered footstool that my uncle had made. She then proceeded to rock the footstool back and forth, back and forth, until she finally lost control of it and it lurched off of the sofa and onto my head. Another fraction of an inch and she could have killed me! Much to my embarrassment, I had to march in the St. Patrick's Day parade with a big goose egg on the side of my head. Now when I tell people that my sister gave me that "dimple", they usually ask me if she is a plastic surgeon. What a prodigy she was!

Where do your scars take you?

No comments: